Eat-This!
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 18, 2019, 04:59:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Join #Soldat.Eat-This! at irc.QuakeNet.org !
Forum Stats
1,979 Posts in 283 Topics by 172 Members
Latest Member: Barbarabiz
Home Help Search Login Register
Eat-This!  |  Modes  |  Last Stand  |  [Suggestion] Save demos of highscore games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [Suggestion] Save demos of highscore games  (Read 1504 times)
Seth Gecko

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2014, 03:51:40 pm »

Hi,

in several LS modes, the goal is to achieve the highest score by surviving and killing as many zombie waves as possible. Currently, it is possible to check the highscore of a specific map using the command "!score" ingame. I would like to suggest a new feature: the creation of demos of highscore games.

Motivation
  • it'd be fun and interesting to watch highscore games
  • cheaters and bug abusers would be revealed and their highscores could be deleted
Especially the second point is the annyoing one: many cheaters and bug abusers have reached such high scores that it is nearly impossible to reach a higher score. Thus, this incentive for playing LS is gone...
In my opinion, more than half of the scores are either achieved by cheating or bug abusing (just think of the times when zombies are too easy to lure, that's a bug, right?)

Implementation
  • the demo feature is already implemented in soldat clients, so i hope it's also easily usable on server side?
  • just record every LS match played and delete the demo file afterwards if the highscore wasn't beaten
  • if the highscore was beaten, replace the demo of the old highscore with the new one1
  • make the demos available for public, so users themselves can check for bug abusing and cheaters (transparency)

1or, in a more sophisticated version, save both demos and delete the old highscore demo only if the new highscore is approved as abuse and cheat free. This would make roll backs possible.
TheOne
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02:37 pm »

As far as I know, the demo function is only available for clients.. unfortunately.
Great idea otherwise! Players can feel free to upload demos of epic highscore games in the forums!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea
Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.